The following vegetables, cut into small pieces if necessary, may be cooked by boiling or steaming and combined with cream sauce, as in basic recipe. For 25 portions, use 5-6 lb (about 21/2 kg) EP vegetables and 212-3pt (1.2-1.7 L) cream sauce.
Asparagus Cabbage Okra
Beans, green or yellow Carrots Onions, small white
Beans, lima Cauliflower Peas
Brussels sprouts Kohlrabi
Portions: 24 Portion size: 31/! oz (100 g) broccoli
2 floz (60 mL) sauce U.S. Metric Ingredients
712 lb 112 qt
Mornay sauce, hot
Calories, 160; Protein, 9 g; Fat, 10 g (53% cal.); Cholesterol, 30 mg; Carbohydrates, 11 g; Fiber, 4 g; Sodium, 180 mg.
Note: This method of cooking in a shallow pan is used to prevent damaging the blossom ends, which are easily broken. Other delicate vegetables, such as asparagus, are also sometimes cooked in shallow water in hotel pans or sauté pans.
Broccoli may be cooked in a steamer, following basic steaming method.
1. Trim and wash broccoli. Separate large pieces into smaller serving pieces. Split or peel stems for even cooking.
2. Arrange broccoli in hotel pan with flowers to the outside, stems in center.
3. Pour in boiling salted water to partially cover. Cover with clean, wet towels and set on rangetop.
4. Simmer until blossom parts are nearly tender. Fold back towels from edges to uncover blossoms. This releases steam and helps avoid overcooking. Leave stems covered and continue to simmer until stems feel tender but al dente when pierced with a knife, Drain well.
5. Nap each portion with 2 fl oz (60 mL) Mornay sauce at service time. Ladle the sauce across the stems without covering the blossoms.
Was this article helpful?
Top Low Carb Internet Guru Speaks Out. An Open Letter To Anyone Who Wants To Lose Up To 20 Pounds In 30 Days The 'Low Carb' Way. 30-Day Low Carb Diet 'Ketosis Plan' has already helped scores of people lose their excess pounds and inches faster and easier than they ever thought possible. Why not find out what 30-Day Low Carb Diet 'Ketosis Plan' can do for you by trying it out for yourself.