1. Cut the potatoes into slices about 14 in. (12 cm) thick.
2. Peel the onions, cut in half lengthwise, and slice into julienne.
3. Heat half the fat in a sauté pan and sauté the onions until they are golden. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside.
4. Put the rest of the fat into the pan. Set the pan on high heat and add the potatoes.
5. Sauté the potatoes, tossing them in the pan until well browned on all sides.
6. Add the onions and continue to sauté for another minute, until onions and potatoes well mixed and the flavors are blended.
7. Season to taste.
Home Fries or American Fries
Prepare as in basic recipe, but omit onions.
Cook 10 oz (300 g) diced bacon until crisp. Remove bacon from pan. Sauté 10 oz onion (300 g), cut in fine dice, and 10 oz (300 g) green bell pepper, cut in fine dice, in bacon fat. Sauté 6V2 lb (3 kg) diced potatoes as in basic recipe and add vegetables.
Add the crisp bacon and 4 oz (125 g) diced pimiento to finish, and season to taste.
Was this article helpful?