Add 3-4 fl oz (90-125 mL) heavy cream, heated. Sugar may be reduced or omitted if the squash has a good flavor.
Mashed Rutabagas or Yellow Turnips
Prepare as in basic recipe. If desired, add a small amount of whipped potato.
Yield: about 1 lb (500g)
Portions: 25 Portion size: 3Vi oz (100 g)
10 lb AP 212 pt to taste to taste to taste
4.5 kg AP 1.2 L to taste to taste to taste
Spinach, fresh Cream sauce, hot Nutmeg Salt
Calories, 120; Protein, 6 g; Fat, 7 g (50% cal.); Cholesterol, 20 mg; Carbohydrates, 10 g; Fiber, 3 g; Sodium, 150 mg.
Note: For frozen chopped spinach, partially thaw 2V2 packages (2V2 lb/1.1 kg each). Cover with boiling salted water and break spinach apart. Cook only until hot and drain. Squeeze out excess liquid and combine with cream sauce.
1. Trim spinach and wash carefully in several changes of water. Drain. (See note.)
2. Place 2 in. (5 cm) water in a heavy pot, cover, and bring to a boil. Add the spinach. Stir several times, so it cooks evenly.
3. As soon as the spinach is thoroughly wilted, drain in a colander, pressing with the back of a kitchen spoon to squeeze out excess liquid.
4. Chop the spinach coarsely.
5. Combine with the cream sauce in a hotel pan. Season to taste with nutmeg, salt, and pepper. (The spinach must not taste strongly of nutmeg.)
Continue reading here: Variations
Was this article helpful?