If you wish, this may be cooked entirely on top of the range. Simply mix in the grated cheese before serving.
Fresh zucchini, cut into small dice, may be substituted for one-third to one-half of the corn. Add to the onion at same time as the chiles.
Portions: 16 Portion size: 9 oz (250g)
U.S. Metric Ingredients
4 fl oz 2 tbsp 1'/2 tsp 14 tsp to taste to taste
450 g 3
100 mL 30 mL 7 mL 1 mL to taste to taste
Onions, small dice Garlic cloves, chopped Olive oil
Ground lamb or beef Tomatoes, canned or fresh, peeled and chopped, with juice Red wine Chopped parsley Dried oregano Cinnamon Salt Pepper
1. Sauté the onion and garlic in the olive oil until soft. Remove with a slotted spoon.
3. Return the onion and garlic to the pot and add the tomato, wine, parsley, oregano, and cinnamon. Simmer, uncovered, until the liquid has reduced and the mixture is thick.
4. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
4 lb as needed to taste
1.8 kg as needed to taste
Olive oil Salt
5. Peel the eggplant if the skin is tough. Cut into 1/2-in. (1-cm) slices.
6. Fry the eggplant slices in olive oil until tender. Set aside and season with salt.
1 qt to taste to taste to taste
to taste to taste to taste
Béchamel, cold Salt
7. Season the béchamel (which should be quite thick when cold) with a little salt, white pepper, and nutmeg.
8. Beat the eggs and mix into the béchamel.
as needed as needed 2 oz as needed as needed 60 g
Dry bread crumbs Romano or parmesan cheese, grated
Calories, 470; Protein, 24 g; Fat, 33 g (62% cal.); Cholesterol, 140 mg; Carbohydrates, 20 g; Fiber, 4 g; Sodium, 580 mg.
9. Oil the bottom of a hotel pan or other pan measuring
12 x 20 in. (30 x 50 cm) with olive oil. Sprinkle lightly with bread crumbs.
10. Arrange the eggplant slices in the pan so that they completely cover the bottom. Push them together as necessary.
11. Put the meat mixture on the eggplant in a smooth layer.
12. Pour the béchamel over the top and sprinkle with the grated cheese.
13. Bake at 350°F (175°C) until hot and the top is golden, about 45-60 minutes.
Was this article helpful?