Shellfish are distinguished from fin fish by their hard outer shells and their lack of backbones or internal skeletons.
There are two classifications of shellfish:
1. Mollusks are soft sea animals that fall into three main categories:
• Bivalves,which have a pair of hinged shells (such as clams and oysters).
• Univalves, which have a single shell (such as abalone and conch).
• Cephalopods (such as octopus, squid, and cuttlefish).
From the scientist's point of view, there are other mollusks as well, but they do not concern us here.
2. Crustaceans are animals with segmented shells and jointed legs.
Was this article helpful?
What Is The Gluten Free Diet And What You Need To Know Before You Try It. You may have heard the term gluten free, and you may even have a general idea as to what it means to eat a gluten free diet. Most people believe this type of diet is a curse for those who simply cannot tolerate the protein known as gluten, as they will never be able to eat any food that contains wheat, rye, barley, malts, or triticale.