Portions: 25 U.S.
Portion size: 5 oz (150 g) Metric
1. Make a thin white sauce (bechamel) using the ingredients listed (see p. 171). Keep hot while preparing the potatoes.
Calories, 200; Protein, 6 g; Fat, 6 g (27% cal.); Cholesterol, 20 mg; Carbohydrates, 31 g; Fiber, 2 g; Sodium, 80 mg.
Note: Unthickened milk may be used instead of a thin white sauce, but the milk is more likely to curdle. The roux helps prevent curdling.
2. Peel and eye the potatoes. Cut into slices 1/sin. thick (3 mm).
3. Place the potatoes in a buttered baking pan, making several layers.
4. Pour in the white sauce. Lift the potatoes slightly so that the sauce can run between the layers.
5. Cover with foil or greased paper and place in oven at 350°F (175°C) for 30 minutes.
6. Uncover and continue to bake until top is lightly browned and potatoes are tender.
Was this article helpful?