The sandwich is a favorite and convenient lunchtime food. It is quickly made and served and adaptable to so many variations that it satisfies nearly every taste and nutrition requirement.
Sandwiches have long been the domain of the pantry department, along with salads and other cold preparations. However, when you consider that the most popular sandwich today is the hamburger, you realize that sandwich preparation is as much the responsibility of the short-order cook as it is of the pantry cook.
Preparing hot and cold sandwiches to order is one of the fundamental skills required in modern food service. In this chapter, we start by looking at the fundamentals of sandwich-making, the basic ingredients and basic sandwich types. We then look at the setup of the sandwich station and methods for efficient production.
After reading this chapter, you should be able to
1. Select, store, and serve fresh, good-quality breads for sandwiches.
2. Use sandwich spreads correctly.
3. Identify the most popular types of sandwich fillings.
4. Set up an efficient sandwich station.
5. Prepare the major types of sandwiches to order.
6. Prepare sandwiches in quantity.
Was this article helpful?