Yield: approximately 1 lb (500g) U.S. Metric Ingredients
pinch 2 fl oz 112 tsp
pinch 60 mL 2 mL
Pork butt or shoulder, with fat but without skin and bones Onion, small Cloves Bay leaves Dried thyme Water Salt
Per 1 ounce:
Calories, 110; Protein, 9 g; Fat, 8 g (67% cal.); Cholesterol, 35 mg; Carbohydrates, 2 g; Fiber, 0 g; Sodium, 240 mg.
1. Cut the meat, with all the fat, into large dice.
2. Cut off 1-2 oz (30-60 g) of the fat and render it slowly in a large, heavy pot. Add the meat and brown it lightly and gently over moderate heat.
3. Stick the onion with the cloves. Add the onion and the remaining ingredients. Cover and cook slowly in a low oven or on the range over very low heat, until the meat is very tender. This will take several hours. Check periodically to see if the meat has become dry. If it has, add 1-2 oz (30-60 mL) water.
4. Remove the bay leaves, onion, and cloves. Place the contents of the pot in a colander set over a large bowl. Press firmly on the meat and collect the fat and drippings in the bowl. Separate the fat and juices and reserve them separately.
5. Pound the meat with a large pestle or mallet, then shred it with two forks until the meat is a mass of fibers and no lumps. Alternatively, place the meat in the bowl of a mixer and mix with the paddle attachment at lowest speed until the meat is thoroughly shredded.
6. Add as much of the rendered fat as desired and mix it with the shredded meat. Taste and adjust the seasonings. It should be well seasoned because it is to be served cold. If the mixture seems dry, add some of the reserved juices to achieve the desired consistency. The mixture should be thick but spreadable, neither too dry nor too soft.
7. Pack into crocks or terrines and smooth the top. If the rillettes are to be kept for more than 1-2 days, seal the surface from the air by covering with a layer of melted fat. Refrigerate overnight or longer. Remove the layer of fat before serving.
8. Serve with crusty bread and sour pickles.
Was this article helpful?
Top Low Carb Internet Guru Speaks Out. An Open Letter To Anyone Who Wants To Lose Up To 20 Pounds In 30 Days The 'Low Carb' Way. 30-Day Low Carb Diet 'Ketosis Plan' has already helped scores of people lose their excess pounds and inches faster and easier than they ever thought possible. Why not find out what 30-Day Low Carb Diet 'Ketosis Plan' can do for you by trying it out for yourself.