1. Keep knives sharp.A sharp knife is safer than a dull one because it requires less pressure and is less likely to slip.
2. Use a cutting board. Do not cut against a metal surface. Place a damp towel under the board to keep it from slipping.
13. Pay attention to your work when using a knife or cutting equipment.
14. Cut away from yourself and other workers.
5. Use knives only for cutting, not for such jobs as opening bottles.
6. Don't try to catch a falling knife. Step back and let it fall.
7. Don't put knives in a sink, under water, or any other place where they can't be seen.
8. Clean knives carefully,with the sharp edge away from you.
9. Store knives in a safe place, such as a rack,when not in use.
1 0. Carry knives properly. Hold the knife beside you,point down,with the sharp edge back and away from you. Don't swing your arm.Whenever possible, carry knives in a sheath.Warn people when you are walking past them with a knife in hand.
1 1 . Keep breakable items, such as dishes and glassware, out of the food production area.
1 2. Don't put breakable items in the pot sink.
14. Discard chipped or cracked dishes and glasses.
15. Use special containers for broken dishes and glasses. Don't throw them in with other garbage.
16. If there is broken glass in the sink, drain the sink before trying to take out the glass.
17. Remove all nails and staples when opening crates and cartons, and dispose of them.
Was this article helpful?