1. Peel most vegetables as thinly as possible. Many nutrients lie just under the skin.
2. Cut vegetables into uniform pieces for even cooking.
3. Peel and cut vegetables as close to cooking time as possible to prevent drying and loss of vitamins through oxidation.
4. For machine paring, sort vegetables for evenness of size to minimize waste.
5. Treat vegetables that brown easily (potatoes, eggplant, artichokes, sweet potatoes) with an acid, such as lemon juice, or an antioxidant solution, or hold under water until ready to use (some vitamins and minerals will be lost).
6. Save edible trim for soups, stocks, and vegetable purées.
Was this article helpful?
Acai, Maqui And Many Other Popular Berries That Will Change Your Life And Health. Berries have been demonstrated to be some of the healthiest foods on the planet. Each month or so it seems fresh research is being brought out and new berries are being exposed and analyzed for their health giving attributes.