Portions: 24 Portion size: 1/i chicken 48 1/4 chicken
1 lb 5 tsp 1 tsp as needed
Chickens, 212 lb (1.1 kg) each Flour Salt
White pepper Oil
Per V2 chicken:
Calories, 820; Protein, 75 g; Fat, 51 g (57% cal.); Cholesterol, 235 mg; Carbohydrates, 11 g; Fiber, 0 g; Sodium, 580 mg.
1. Cut chickens into 8 pieces, as shown in Figure 12.5.
2. Place the flour in a small hotel pan and season with salt and pepper.
3. Pour about 14 in. (0.5 cm) oil into enough heavy iron skillets to hold all the chicken pieces in a single layer. Heat over moderately high heat.
4. Dredge the chicken pieces in the seasoned flour and shake off excess.
5. Place the pieces skin side down in the hot oil. Let the pieces fall away from you to avoid splashing hot oil on yourself.
6. Fry the chicken until golden brown on the bottom. Turn the pieces with tongs and brown the other side.
7. Lower the heat slightly to avoid overbrowning. Continue to cook the chickens, turning once or twice more, until cooked through. Breast meat cooks faster than leg meat— remove it when it is done. Total cooking time will be 20-40 minutes, depending on the size of the chickens and the temperature of the fat.
8. Remove the chicken from the pan and drain well. Place on hot dinner plates or hold for service in counter pans. Do not cover pans or hold too long, or chicken will lose its crispness.
Was this article helpful?