Portions: 24 Portion size: 5 oz (150 g)
U.S. Metric Ingredients
Flank steak (5 steaks) Marinade: Vegetable oil Lemon juice Salt
Black pepper Dried thyme
2. Combine the marinade ingredients in a hotel pan. Place the steaks in the pan and turn them so they are coated with oil. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
3. Remove the meat from the marinade and place in a preheated broiler or grill. Broil at high heat about 3-5 minutes on each side, until well browned outside but rare inside (see note).
4. Remove from broiler and let rest 2 minutes before slicing.
5. Slice the meat very thin on a sharp angle across the grain (see Figure 11.7).
Mushroom Sauce (brown) (p. 175)
Calories, 520; Protein, 41 g; Fat, 37 g (65% cal.); Cholesterol, 110 mg; Carbohydrates, 3 g; Fiber, 0 g; Sodium, 370 mg.
Note: Flank steak should be broiled rare. If cooked well done, it will be tough and dry.
Slicing London broil flank steak.
6. Weigh 5-oz (150-g) portions. Serve each portion with 2 oz (60 mL) sauce.
Was this article helpful?