1. The best way to store leftovers is not to create them in the first place. Careful planning and small-batch cooking reduce leftovers.
2. Don't mix batches.
3. Store leftover creamed vegetables for one day only. Then either use or discard. Before storing, cool rapidly by placing the container on ice.
■ TERMS FOR REVIEW
al dente pigment flavones anthocyanins carotenoids chlorophyll trimming loss AP weight EP weight sieve size batch cooking blanch and chill
■ QUESTIONS FOR DISCUSSION
1. Give two reasons for not adding baking soda to the cooking water for green vegetables.
2. Besides appearance,why is proper, uniform cutting of vegetables important?
3. What are some advantages of steam-cooking vegetables over boiling or simmering?
4. You are trying a recipe for blueberry muffins.When you break open a finished muffin,you see that the baked dough around each berry is green.What caused this? How can you correct it? (Hint.: The batter is made with buttermilk and leavened with baking soda. Even though berries aren't discussed in this chapter, the information about color changes will enable you to answer this question.)
5. Discuss the reasons for cooking green vegetables in a large quantity of water and in just enough water to cover.
6. You are to prepare buttered, steamed asparagus and must produce 50 portions of 3 ounces (90 g) each. How much untrimmed fresh asparagus will you need?
Continue reading here: Cooking Vegetables
Was this article helpful?