Eggs and Safety
Outbreaks of salmonellosis have been traced to clean, whole, uncracked-shell eggs contaminated with Salmonella en-teritidis .Whole-shell eggs are now classified as potentially hazardous foods by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
The following guidelines, which treat eggs as potentially hazardous foods during storage, handling, preparation, and service,must be followed to prevent the possibility of food-borne illness:
• Store eggs at refrigerated temperatures of 45°F (7°C) or lower until time of use. Do not freeze eggs in shells.
• Cook eggs thoroughly until both the yolk and white are firm, not runny. Generally, eggs should be cooked to 145°F (63°C) or higher for at least 15 seconds.
• To hold cooked eggs for later service, cook them to 155°F (63°C) or higher for 15 seconds, then hold them at 135°F (57°C).
• Avoid pooling raw eggs for holding. Eggs may be pooled in small quantities for immediate cooking and serving.
• For lightly cooked egg items, such as custards, French toast, mousses, and meringues, pasteurized eggs should be used.
• Avoid raw egg menu items. Review menus,recipes, and preparation procedures using raw eggs. Pasteurized eggs may be substituted for Caesar salad, hollandaise and béarnaise sauces,eggnog,ice cream, and egg-fortified beverages.
• Pasteurized eggs require the same time and temperature handling as other potentially hazardous foods.
• Wash hands with hot, soapy water before and after handling eggs and egg products.
• Wash and sanitize utensils, equipment, and the work area after handling eggs and egg products.
• Do not reuse a container that has held a raw egg mixture. Use a clean, sanitized container for each batch.
Source: National Restaurant Association Educational
Foundation, ServSafe Coursebook, 3rd Edition.
Was this article helpful?
Acai, Maqui And Many Other Popular Berries That Will Change Your Life And Health. Berries have been demonstrated to be some of the healthiest foods on the planet. Each month or so it seems fresh research is being brought out and new berries are being exposed and analyzed for their health giving attributes.