his is an exciting time to begin a career in food service. Interest in dining and curiosity about new foods are greater than ever. More new restaurants open every year. Many restaurants are busy every night, and restaurant chains number among the nation's largest corporations. The chef, once considered a domestic servant, is now respected as an artist and skilled craftsperson.
The growth of the food service industry creates a demand for thousands of skilled people every year. Many people are attracted by a career that is challenging and exciting and, above all, provides the chance to find real satisfaction in doing a job well.
Unfortunately, many people see only the glamorous side of food service and fail to understand that this is a tiny part of the picture. The public does not often see the years of training, the long hours, and the tremendous pressures that lie behind every success.
Before you start your practical studies, covered in later chapters, it is good to know a little about the profession you are entering. This chapter gives you a brief overview of modern food service, including how it got to where it is today and where it is headed.
After reading this chapter, you should be able to
1. Name and describe four major developments that have significantly changed the food service industry in the twentieth century.
2. Identify seven major stations in a classical kitchen.
3. Explain how the size and type of an operation influence the organization of the modern kitchen.
4. Identify and describe three skill levels of food production personnel.
5. Identify eight behaviorial characteristics that food service workers should develop and maintain to achieve the highest standards of professionalism.
Was this article helpful?
Acai, Maqui And Many Other Popular Berries That Will Change Your Life And Health. Berries have been demonstrated to be some of the healthiest foods on the planet. Each month or so it seems fresh research is being brought out and new berries are being exposed and analyzed for their health giving attributes.