Gratin Dauphinoise II
Portions: 15 U.S.
Portion size: 5 oz (150 g) Metric
3 lb to taste to taste to taste lb
1.4 kg to taste to taste to taste 225 g
White pepper Nutmeg
Gruyère cheese, grated
1. Peel and eye the potatoes. Cut into very thin slices.
2. Place some of the potatoes in a layer in a buttered baking pan. Season with salt, pepper, and a very small amount of nutmeg. Sprinkle with a little of the cheese. Repeat until all the potatoes and about three-fourths of the cheese are used up.
1 pt 1 cup
500 mL 250 mL
Heavy cream Egg yolks
Calories, 220; Protein, 8 g; Fat, 13 g (53% cal.); Cholesterol, 85 mg; Carbohydrates, 18 g; Fiber, 1g; Sodium, 80 mg.
3. Combine the milk and half the cream and heat to a simmer. Beat the egg yolks with the remaining cream. Slowly stir in the hot milk mixture.
4. Pour the milk mixture over the potatoes. Top with remaining cheese.
5. Bake uncovered at 350°F (175°C) until done, about 45-60 minutes.
Prepare as above, but use chicken stock instead of milk.
Continue reading here: Scalloped Potatoes
Was this article helpful?