Contrary to popular opinion, there is no law that says one must have eggs or cereal or pancakes or pastries for breakfast and must not have shrimp curry or chili or spaghetti and meatballs.Although most of us would think these last suggestions rather strange for the morning meal, there is probably no food that someone, somewhere, does not enjoy for breakfast. No doubt many Japanese,who have soybean soup, sour pickles, and rice for their first meal of the day, think Western breakfast habits are strange.
However, the egg remains a favorite breakfast food, even as we become more adventurous and explore ethnic cuisines. For such apparently simple items, eggs are used in many ways in the kitchen and require special study.We examine not only the usual breakfast preparation but other egg dishes as well, such as soufflés and custards.
After reading this chapter, you should be able to
1. Describe the composition of eggs and the major differences among grades.
3. Prepare the following egg items: hard-, medium-, and soft-cooked eggs; poached eggs; fried eggs; shirred eggs; scrambled eggs; omelets; entrée soufflés; and savory custards.
4. List the key differences between waffle batter and pancake batter, and prepare each.
5. Prepare French toast, and identify the common variations possible by changing the basic ingredients.
6. Prepare each of the two general types of breakfast cereals.
7. Identify the three most common breakfast meats and prepare them.
Was this article helpful?
Knife Throwing Techniques of the Ninja. span stylecolor: 000000Do you want to learn the art of throwing knives? Ever wondered how it is done to perfection every time? Well here is your chance. This book contains well over 50 pages of detailed information and illustrations all about the art of knife throwing. This intriguing book focuses on the ninja's techniques and training. This is a must for all martial artists and anyone wanting to learn the knife throwing techniques of the ninja.span