n the days before modern refrigeration, the pantry was the storeroom where food products were kept before being brought into the kitchen. Because this room was cooler than the kitchen, it was especially suited as a work area for the production of cold food, especially aspics, chaud-froids, and other elaborate buffet preparations. In kitchens around the world, this department is often referred to by its French name, garde manger (gard mawn zhay).
Today, the pantry is the department responsible for cold foods and related items. This does not mean that no cooking is done in the pantry. On the contrary, garde manger chefs must be masters of a wide range of cooking techniques. In addition, they must have artistic judgment as well as the patience and dexterity to perform a great many hand operations quickly and efficiently.
This chapter deals with two groups of items prepared in the pantry: salads and salad dressings.
After reading this chapter, you should be able to
1. Identify and describe five different salad types, and select appropriate recipes for use as appetizer, accompaniment, main course, separate course, or dessert salad.
2. Identify a dozen popular salad greens; list six categories of other salad ingredients; and recognize several examples from each category.
3. Judge the quality of fruits and complete the pre-preparation procedures for fruit.
4. Identify the four basic parts of a salad.
5. Prepare and arrange salads that achieve maximum eye appeal.
6. Set up an efficient system for producing salads in quantity.
7. Prepare the following types of salads: green, vegetable, bound, fruit, combination, and gelatin.
8. Set up a successful salad bar and buffet service.
9. Identify the major salad dressing ingredients.
10. Prepare the following: oil and vinegar dressings, mayonnaise and mayonnaise-based dressings, cooked dressings, and specialty dressings.
Was this article helpful?
You may be forgiven for thinking that these passed down secrets had gone for good, washed away with time and the modern age, But they're not. You can now own three of the best traditional did you know style reports that were much loved by our parents and grandparents. And they were pretty smart too because not only will these reports save you time and money but they'll also help you eliminate some of the scourges of modern day living such as harmful chemical usage in the home.