Portions size: 6 oz (175 g) squid
2 floz (60 mL) each sauce Metric Ingredients
5GG g 45 mL
Small cleaned squid (see Figure 14.10) Lemon juice Flour Salt
1. Slice the body sacs of the squid crosswise into rings. Leave the tentacle sections whole, or cut them in half if they are large.
2. Combine the squid with the lemon juice and marinate, refrigerated, for 2-3 hours.
4. Drain the squid and dry on clean towels. Immediately before cooking, toss the squid with the flour, then shake in a large strainer to remove excess flour.
5. Deep-fry at 350°F (175°C) just until lightly golden. Remove from the fryer and drain.
to taste 75G mL
Tomato Sauce for Pasta
(p. 639) Hot red pepper sauce Aioli I (p. 201) or Aioli II (p. 728)
Calories, 700; Protein, 30 g; Fat, 50 g (64% cal.); Cholesterol, 395 mg; Carbohydrates, 33 g; Fiber, 2 g; Sodium, 1710 mg.
6. Heat the tomato sauce and season to taste with the hot pepper sauce.
7. Heap the fried squid in the center of the serving plates, accompanied by 2 fl oz (60 mL) of each of the sauces in small cups.
For other versions of deep-fried calamari, bread the squid (see Standard Breading Procedure) or dip in batter, using one of the batter recipes for Onion Rings (p. 576); the recipe for Beer Batter is recommended. Follow steps 6-8 in the Onion Ring recipe for battering and frying.
Was this article helpful?