Brown Sauce or Espagnole
l lb 500 g Onions, medium dice
8 oz 250 g Carrots, medium dice
8 oz 250 g Celery, medium dice
8 oz 250 g Butter
8 oz 250 g Bread flour
6 qt 6 L Brown stock
8 oz 250 g Tomato purée
V2 Bay leaf
Vi tsp 1 mL Thyme
6-8 6-8 Parsley stems
Per 1 ounce:
Calories, 25; Protein, 1 g; Fat, 1.5 g (53% cal); Cholesterol, 5 mg; Carbohydrates, 2 g; Fiber, 0 g; Sodium, 20 mg.
1. Sauté the mirepoix in the butter until well browned.
2. Add the flour and stir to make the roux. Continue to cook until the roux is browned.
3. Gradually stir in the brown stock and tomato purée, stirring constantly until the mixture comes to a boil.
4. Reduce heat to simmer and skim the surface. Add the sachet and let simmer for about 2 hours, until the sauce is reduced to 1 gal (4 L). Skim as often as necessary.
5. Strain through a china cap lined with several layers of cheesecloth. Press on the mirepoix gently to extract their juices.
6. Cover or spread melted butter on surface to prevent skin formation. Keep hot in a bain-marie, or cool in a cold-water bath for later use.
Continue reading here: Fond Li or Jus Li
Was this article helpful?