Yield: 48 pieces U.S.
12 oz 360 g Black turtle beans, cooked or canned, drained
1-2 floz 30-60 mL Water or bean cooking broth to taste to taste Salt to taste to taste Cayenne or ground chipotle pepper
1. Mash the beans coarsely.
2. Add just enough water or bean broth to moisten the beans slightly. They should not be dry.
3. Add salt and cayenne or chipotle to taste.
Z tbsp 4 oz lZ
9O mL l5 mL
Flour or corn tortillas Salsa Cruda (p. 191) Jalapeno or serrano chiles, seeded and chopped fine Chopped cilantro Monterey jack or mild cheddar cheese, grated
Per 1 piece:
Calories, 110; Protein, 4 g; Fat, 4 g (30% cal.); Cholesterol, 0 mg; Carbohydrates, 17 g; Fiber, 2.4 g; Sodium, 210 mg.
4. Top 1 tortilla with about 2 oz (60 g) bean mixture and spread it to cover the tortilla. Repeat this process until 6 tortillas are topped with the bean mixture.
5. For each of the 6 tortillas, sprinkle 1 tbsp (15 mL) salsa over the beans, then V2 tsp (2.5 mL) chopped chile and 1 tsp (5 mL) cilantro.
6. Lightly oil a hot griddle or sauté pan and place the tortilla on it.
7. Sprinkle about % oz (20 g) cheese over the filling in each tortilla and top with a second tortilla.
8. When the cheese is soft, flip the tortilla sandwich and heat the other side.
9. Remove from the heat and cut into 8 wedges.
Brandade de Morue
U.S. Metric Ingredients
2 lb 1 kg Salt cod
Soak the salt cod in cold water for 24 hours, changing the water several times.
Put the cod in a pot with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 5-10 minutes, just until the cod is cooked and flakes. Do not overcook, or it will not absorb liquid well in the next steps. Remove the fish from the water, flake it, and remove the skin and bones.
3. Work the fish, while it is still hot, and the garlic into a smooth, lumpfree paste. This can be done by hand with a bowl and wooden spoon or with a mixer with the paddle attachment. (A food processor may also be used, but be careful not to process the fish until it is totally pureed.)
5. Gradually beat the oil into the cod paste alternately with the milk, adding just a little at a time, until the mixture is the consistency of mashed potatoes.
6. Add white pepper to taste. Salt may not be necessary because the dried cod is salty.
7. Serve warm as a dip, with toast points for dipping.
Brandade can be reheated slowly over low heat, stirring frequently.
Brandade can be mixed with mashed potatoes in varying proportions.
If you add too much oil or cream in step 5, or if you add it too quickly, the brandade can break or curdle. It can usually be rescued by beating it vigorously. If this doesn't work, add a little mashed potatoes.
8 floz 8 floz to taste to taste as needed
250 mL 250 mL
to taste to taste as needed
Garlic cloves, crushed to a paste Olive oil Milk, cream, or half-and-half White pepper Salt
Toast points fried in olive oil
Per 1 ounce:
Calories, 80; Protein, 6 g; Fat, 6 g (69% cal.); Cholesterol, 20 mg; Carbohydrates, 0 g; Fiber, 0 g; Sodium, 175 mg.
Was this article helpful?
Acai, Maqui And Many Other Popular Berries That Will Change Your Life And Health. Berries have been demonstrated to be some of the healthiest foods on the planet. Each month or so it seems fresh research is being brought out and new berries are being exposed and analyzed for their health giving attributes.