1 lb dry red beans
2 qt water
11/2 C onion, chopped
1 C celery, chopped
4 bay leaves
1 C green peppers, chopped
3 Tbsp garlic, chopped
3 Tbsp parsley, chopped
2 tsp dried thyme, crushed
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1. Pick through beans to remove bad ones. Rinse beans rinse thoroughly.
2. In large pot, combine beans, water, onion, celery, and bay leaves. Bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover, and cook over low heat for about 1 1/2 hours or until beans are tender. Stir. Mash beans against side of pan.
3. Add green pepper, garlic, parsley, thyme, salt, and black pepper. Cook uncovered over low heat until creamy, about 30 minutes. Remove bay leaves.
4. Serve with hot cooked brown rice, if desired.
This vegetarian dish is virtually fat free and entirely delicious.
Yield: 8 servings Serving size: 1 1/4 cup Each serving provides:
This lively vegetarian pasta dish is delicious
hot or cold.
2 C small yellow onions, cut in eighths
2 C (about 1 lb) ripe tomatoes, peeled, chopped
2 C (about 1 lb) yellow and green squash, thinly sliced
11/2 C (about 1/2 lb) fresh green beans, cut
2/3 C water
2 Tbsp fresh parsley, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 /2 tsp chili powder
1 /4 tsp salt to taste black pepper
1 can (6 oz) tomato paste
1 lb spaghetti, uncooked
1/2 C Parmesan cheese, grated
1. Combine first 10 ingredients in large saucepan. Cook for 10 minutes, then stir in tomato paste. Cover and cook gently for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender.
2. Cook spaghetti in unsalted water according to package directions.
3. Spoon sauce over drained hot spaghetti. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top.
Yield: 9 servings Serving size: 1 cup of spaghetti and 3/4 cup of sauce with vegetables
Each serving provides:
Calories: 271 Total fat: 3 g Saturated fat: 1 g Cholesterol: 4 mg Sodium: 328 mg Total fiber: 5 g Protein: 11 g Carbohydrates: 51 g Potassium: 436 mg
Was this article helpful?
Statistics For Obesity Are Rising And The Majority Of People Are Not Getting Enough Exercise Nor Are Having Any Regard For Their Health! Will You Finally Make Good On Your Promise And Set Your Goals To Improve Your Fitness And Live The Healthy Lifestyle You Want? With A Little Bit of Motivation, You Can Set Yourself On the Correct Path To Losing Weight And Feeling Great Using Nothing But Purely Natural Means!