J.L. Kraft opens a wholesale cheese business in Chicago, Illinois
Henry Ford introduces his Model T automobile
Cheese has had a long history as a highly nutritious food enjoyed by people around the world. Most authorities believe that the first cheesemakers were in the Middle East more than 4,000 years ago. During the Middle Ages, monks perfected their cheesemaking skills. It is to them that we owe many of the classic varieties of cheese that are marketed today. The first American cheese factory opened in 1851. It produced Cheddar cheese.
Cheese preserves milk's nutrients and can be found in most parts of the world. Create a chart that compares three different cheeses from three different countries. List the country of origin, the source, and the characteristics of each.
NCSS I E Culture Demonstrate the value of cultural diversity, as well as cohesion, within and across groups.
Specialty cheeses include pasteurized processed cheese and cold-pack cheese. Processed cheese is a combination of ripened and unripened cheese. These cheeses are pasteurized with flavorings and emulsifiers and poured into molds. An emulsifier is an additive, such as egg yolk, that allows unmixable liquids, such as oil and water, to combine uniformly. Once the cheeses have gone through this process, they do not continue to ripen. Their flavor and texture remain the same for a long time.
Cold-pack cheese is made from one or more varieties of cheese, especially Cheddar or Roquefort cheeses. The cheese is finely ground and mixed until it is spreadable. No heat is used to make cold-pack cheese.
Cook with Cheese
Cheese is a flavorful addition to most recipes. However, cheese must melt, not cook. Cheeses that are ripened or processed generally will melt well.
When you use cheese in a recipe, you must heat it at low temperatures for only a short time. Otherwise the cheese may burn. Generally, add cheese to sauces toward the end of the cooking process. Add cheese as a topping to a baked product at the end of the baking time.
All ripened cheeses should be served at room temperature. To bring out their full flavor, take them out of the refrigerator 30 to 60 minutes before serving. Unripened, fresh cheeses should always be refrigerated until just before they are served. If you prepare cheese boards or trays:
• Select cheeses with contrasting shapes and colors so that the tray will look appealing.
• Choose cheeses that are easy to cut.
• Include a different knife with each type of cheese.
• Do not pre-slice the cheese. This will cause it to dry out.
• Provide bread rounds, crackers, or sliced fruit.
Cheese needs special care. It should be well wrapped and stored in the refrigerator. Cheeses that are not properly wrapped will dry out and pick up flavors of other foods in the refrigerator. Loosely wrap soft cheeses with greaseproof or waxed paper.
aging affect cheese?
I Explain How does
Review Key Concepts
1. Explain how to identify soft cheeses.
Practice Culinary Academics ^^ Science
2. Procedure Wrap standard amounts of four different types of cheese in wax paper and store them in the refrigerator. Monitor the cheese for mold growth each day for one or two weeks. Analysis Create a hypothesis about which cheese will show signs of mold first, and why. Record your observations along with your hypothesis.
i i NSES A Develop abilities necessary to do scientific inquiry.
3. Pair up at the direction of your teacher and write a script for a radio show about cheese. One partner should play the host, and the other should play a caller asking a question about cheese. Perform your script for the class.
NCTE 4 Use written language to communicate effectively.
4. Cheese is made in many different ways around the world, and from many different dairy sources.
Choose one cheese processing source, and research how the cheese is made, and what dairy source it uses. Create a visual presentation using images of the cheesemaking process.
NCSS I B Culture Predict how data and experiences may be interpreted by people from diverse cultural perspectives and frames of reference.
5. An aged Cheddar costs $7.50 per pound; Stilton costs $8.99 per pound; and a French brie costs $13.99 per pound. If you serve a cheese plate with 4 ounces of Cheddar, 3 ounces of Stilton, and 2 ounces of brie, what is the total food cost? ^^^^^ Equivalent Weights There are 16 ounces in 1 pound. Divide ounces by 16 to convert to pounds. Divide per-pound rates by 16 to convert to per-ounce rates.
Starting Hint Since each price is per pound, divide each price by 16 to find the per-ounce price. Multiply each per-ounce price by the number of ounces served, and add the amounts.
NCTM Problem Solving Apply and adapt a variety of appropriate strategies to solve problems.
Bji Check your answers at this book's Online Learning Center at glencoe.com.
Create cold platters for banquets and special events.
Was this article helpful?
If you're wanting to learn how to set goals now for tomorrow's benefit. Then this may be the most important letter you'll ever read! You're About To Learn All About Growth Potential Without Potential Waste And How To Manage Your Money Principles, No Matter How Much Time You Have Had To Prepare! It doesn't matter if you've never experienced entrepreneurship up close and personal, This guide will tell you everything you need to know, without spending too much brainpower!