6 squirrels, cut up
1 pound Cajun smoked sausage, cut into 1-inch slices
1 bell pepper, chopped
2 onions, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped 1 quart chicken stock
1 small can cream of mushroom soup Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
2 tablespoons oil
1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce
* Heat oil; brown sausage. Season squirrel.
* Remove sausage; brown squirrel pieces well. Remove squirrel.
* Sauté onions, bell pepper and celery until soft; then remove.
* Place squirrel, sausage and veggies back into pot; add about 1-pint of chicken stock to pot.
* Bring to slow boil; lower heat to low-medium and simmer slowly.
* After 45 minutes, add cream of mushroom soup and amount of chicken stock to cover contents in pot. Stirring well, as soup will want to stick.
* Cook and additional 30 to 45 minutes, or until squirrel is tender.
* Serve over rice or mashed potatoes (white or sweet).
Hold it! Caj. Before you get too carried away going through my recipes, let's get one thing straight, on the table. Recipes for raccoons can also be used for opossums. In other words, "possum" recipes work just as well for "coons." Just remember, sweet taters go with possum; white taters or spuds go with coon. You can just about swap squirrel for rabbit; nearly. All depends on whether ya got a wild hare or a domesticated rabbit. Got it? Good. Kinda thought you would. Now carry on.
Was this article helpful?